Titan Base Diagram

Titan I Missile Base

Titan I Missile Base

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

MIssile base dreaming

By request, more on silos.

At one point in the history of the United States, there was a very real possibility that the leaders of the US and the then Soviet Union (which was still sometimes called "Russia") would annihilate everything on Earth. A figure I remember from high school was that just those two members of the "nuclear club" had sufficient firepower to rip the crust off of the Earth eighteen times. This bothered me quite a bit back then. The move Red Dawn did nothing to help. Nor did On the Beach, The Day After, Failsafe, or any of the many post-apocalyptic movies and books I read, watched, and discussed obsessively. Lord, I was an "up" person.

Anyway, in response to the threat of global thermonuclear war, the US built various types of bases to send nuclear bomb containing missiles to predetermined locations. By the late 1950's, we had begun building the Titan I missile bases. 18 were built in all, at a cost of $170,000,000 each (in 1960 dollars. Minimum wage was $1.00/ hour, and a new car could be had for $2,275). They were closed after only 5 years.

A few years ago, a Titan I base about 90 miles from where I sit was put on sale on eBay. Didn't sell, but I have large-lotto-jackpot-dreams for this little gem. Please keep in mind that I have many lotto dreams, which are in frequent rotation. Hey, it keeps me entertained.

First Titan I dream: convert the silos into mock ups of starship bridges, like a giant video game, and build a science fiction themed resort. I know more than a few people would pay to fight various aliens, and feel the ship shake and shimmy. I may write more about this someday. If one of you readers ever makes this happen, please just throw me an annual fee.

My other idea is to keep my loved ones (and Val) safe in TEOTWAWKI- also known as WTSHTF. There is almost nothing that I can think of that these babies couldn't handle. Nuclear War? heck, they were built for that. Global pandemic? air filters, water filtration, and lots of food storage would keep us healthy. We could even have a health club and garden. As well as a dog run. Civil unrest? Safe as can be? Zombie apocalypse? We could wait out the living dead for YEARS.

So, I was happy to stumble across "survivalcondo.com". (How does one stumble across a site such as this? ADD plus insatiable curiosity plus morbid thoughts lead one to interesting places on the web). They are selling condos built in one of the bases- see the diagram. If I had the coin, I might just buy one of these.

No comments:

Post a Comment